Trouble Syncing Geth and Connecting to Dappnode

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help. I greatly appreciate it! Haven’t been too lucky in the discord. I have my ETH in queue to be deposited, so hopefully we can fix this before that happens so I don’t get penalized. Here is my report info from the dappnode UI.

Core DAppNode Packages versions

dappmanager.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.37, commit: 2b96e582
core.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.41
wifi.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.5
ipfs.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.12
bind.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.6
vpn.dnp.dappnode.eth: 0.2.7, commit: 12ae223f

System info

docker version: Docker version 18.09.8-ce, build 0dd43dd87fd530113bf44c9bba9ad8b20ce4637f
docker compose version: docker-compose version 1.25.5, build unknown
platform: linux, x64, 5.9.0-4-amd64
Disk usage: 347677602611

I thought I had everything set-up and working the other day. The only issue that I was having was/is that I can only connect to dappnode via my phone. I can’t from my laptop or desktop. I have tried on two different networks and have disabled my regular VPN. I can import my OpenVPN profile, but it won’t connect.

UPNP is enabled. I also opened ports 1194 UDP, 8092 TCP, and 30303 UDP+TCP ON MY NODE CPU. Spectrum, my ISP, says they can only open ports on specific devices and not the whole router, they also just notified me that that I indeed opened/forwarded them properly. They also just let me know that NAT Loopback is not available on their devices. Very annoying, but I managed to set up prysm with my phone and get Geth and the Repository synced. Will these issues not be fixable until I get a device that allows for NAT Loopback?

After a day or two of being synced, Geth and the Reposity have fallen out of sync. Some nice Redditor suggested I add more peers to Geth. If that is an accurate solution, how can I do that through the dappnode dashboard? I tried to SSH in via my mobile, but was having trouble connecting. I am probably doing it wrong smh.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you!

If NAT Loopback was the only issue holding me back, then wouldn’t I be able to connect OpenVPN when I try on a different wireless network? Am I crazy or is there something else impacting this issue?

As for Geth, I have some additional information. Goerli Geth is synced completely. If I go into the Geth logs on dappnode I see this at the bottom:

Error: invalid merkle root

and then:

WARN [time stamp] Synchronisation failed, dropping peer. peer=(peer id I presume) Retrieved hash chain is invalid: invalid

I am willing to buy a new router that supports NAT Loopback if that will fix all my issues. Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you, you beautiful people!

Was able to get Geth to sync again by restarting the machine.

Still can’t connect via the laptop, regardless of the wireless network.

Hi @kwah and welcome to our community forum!

Do you mean via your phone over WiFi, over VPN or both?

I guess the problem is that you cannot access using laptop / desktop over VPN.
Does WiFi connection work for your computers?

NAT Loopback enabled is necessary to be able to VPN connect to your DAppNode when your device is on the same local network as your DAppNode. It should not affect your staking at all.

Let me check about that internally, as I’m no sure.

Why using your mobile to ssh. You should be perfectly able to do it from your computer while connected to the DAppNode WIFi just running the follwoing in the terminal ssh dappnode@172.33.0.1

Hi!

Thank you so much for the reply! Please see my responses below.

Do you mean via your phone over WiFi, over VPN or both?

• My phone has loaded and established a connection to OpenVPN. It can connect to mydappnode through my wifi, but not through cellular service.

I guess the problem is that you cannot access using laptop / desktop over VPN.
Does WiFi connection work for your computers?

• My wifi works fine for my Laptop/desktop. It functions totally normally aside from not being able to establish a connection with OpenVPN or connect to mydappnode.

NAT Loopback enabled is necessary to be able to VPN connect to your DAppNode when your device is on the same local network as your DAppNode. It should not affect your staking at all.

• What’s not making sense to me is how my phone can connect on the same network, but my laptop/desktop cannot. Also, I tried a completely different wifi network and my laptop/desktop still cannot connect. I would purchase a new wifi router that allows NAT Loopback, but to me is seems as though the issue is a little more complex than that. Maybe I’m wrong?

Let me check about that internally, as I’m no sure.

• I just restarted my machine and then it synced back up in a short while. I was getting in the mindset of never shutting the machine down, but I guess she just needed a reboot.

Why using your mobile to ssh . You should be perfectly able to do it from your computer while connected to the DAppNode WIFi just running the follwoing in the terminal `ssh dappnode@172.33.0.1

• Good to know! If connected to the dappnode wifi, I should still not be able to connect to mydappnode, right?

It is not usual for Geth to lose sync, but adding peers doesn’t look like a possible solution.
I’d rather say that it can be related to a network or a node overload problem - restarting as you did makes it look like the issue was caused by an overload.

We have a way to monitor the DAppNode using DMS, if you want to have a look there’s a tutorial:

Interesting. Thanks for the DMS tip. Ill try it out.

Any ideas how to get my.dappnode to work for my computers and not just my phone?

After Geth being in sync for almost 2 days, I came home today and now it says the Repository Source is not running. It is asking to please restart the client. Did I set something up wrong? Why is it having these issues?

Hi @kwah

I meant the DAppNode WiFi Hot-Spot, not your routers WiFi network. You should be able to access your DAppNode UI through DAppNode WiFi as shown here: https://welcome.dappnode.io/

Have your tried to set up DMS? I may be an overload problem. As Lanski has already pointed out on the discord, what hardware are you using to run DAppNode?? What ammount of RAM? What kind of disk?

Ahhh. Yes, I can connect to the Dappnode wifi as shown above, but while connected, I am not able to connect to the Dappnode UI. So frustrating. This forum only allows for one embedded imager per post, so I am replying again to your second question below.

I was able to set up DMS. The DAppStore’s search function isn’t working for me, so I had to manually scroll to find and install the right packages. Also weird. I have an i5 Intel NUC, 1TB SSD, and 32 GB of RAM.

Below are screengrabs from the DMS docker. Hopefully you can make some sense of what’s going on. Please let me know if you need any more information.

!

Try http://172.33.1.7/#/dashboard while connected to the DAppNodeWifi network in your laptop / computer browser

That address doesn’t even process. The window is stuck on the “new tab” homepage

It is only able to work while you are connected to the DAppNode WiFi, or when connected to any other WiFi but using the VPN.

Anyway, have you been able to make any progress? is Geth working normally again?

As per your hardware specs you should be able to sync Geth with no issues.