Questions from a potential ETH2 staker

Questions related to NUCs to the DappNode devs:

1. Do you plan on adding more NUCs in the coming months before staking goes live or do you think the options available now will be the only ones two months from now?

2. How long does it take to ship a DappNode to the USA?

3. Do you offer any refunds or ways to return a DappNode NUC? I am mostly interested in this if there are more options for NUCs available in the future.

4. Do the preconfigured DappNode NUCs have a way to install a battery backup and does the OS allow a way to failover to a cellular internet connection if my main internet line goes down?

Questions related to staking using a DappNode:

1. Do you foresee any mechanism to switch clients while staking using a DappNode? Will there be a way to auto switch to the minority client in order to preserve decentralization?

2. Will there be a way to connect a ledger nano S to DappNode for staking instead of downloading withdrawal keys onto your computer?

Separately, I wanted to post some answers that Edu provided me while I was asking him questions. Please feel free to expound upon these answers as you see fit:

Question:

Is DappNode a centralized service provider? Meaning is there any chance DappNode goes offline and all the stakers using DappNode software go offline too or can this not be the case?

Answer:
the idea behind dappnode is to create a completely decentralized system, so if you’re using your own node that shouldn’t happen

Question:

If I am worried about uptime, is it better to have DappNode run via VPS or is it better to have a DappNode NUC? Has there been any work on the cost trade offs because VPS is fairly cheap now.

Answer:
We encourage people to have this architecture at home to fight against centralization, but it’s true that Internet stability can be a problem. TBH I’ve not done the numbers comparing a NUCs with VPS

Question:

When do you plan on adding more DappNode NUC options?

Answer:
For now there is no forecast to make changes

Question:

What is the most number of validators that has been tested with the lowest possible system resources? Can someone run 1k validators (32k eth) on a cheaper model?

Answer:
The biggest problem right now could be the disk, we’re thinking of expanding it to 1TB just in case (the need of a full Eth1.x) Other resources shouldn’t be a problem, and these don’t depend on the number of validators

Question:

Do you plan on adding support for other clients than Prysm (e.g. Lighthouse, Teku, etc.)? Not sure if this is already available or not

Answer:
yes, of course

4 Likes

Hi @matterhorn, excellent post.

Good reference for everyone joining the community with the intention to stake for validation in ETH2.0!

Let me reply to your first questions here:

Do you plan on adding more NUCs in the coming months before staking goes live or do you think the options available now will be the only ones two months from now?

Our hardware offer is not planned to change at the moment.

How long does it take to ship a DappNode to the USA?

4 to 6 days.

Do you offer any refunds or ways to return a DappNode NUC? I am mostly interested in this if there are more options for NUCs available in the future.

We offer returns within 15 days of receiving the DAppNode. “Upgrading” from a hardware box to a newest one is not contemplated - way too much logistics overhead and possibilites for disaster: returns in NOT a good state, extra shipping costs, uncertainty on responsibilities of who pays for what, shipping insurance…

Do the preconfigured DappNode NUCs have a way to install a battery backup and does the OS allow a way to failover to a cellular internet connection if my main internet line goes down?

No, you can purchase a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) from amazon or any other business. Regarding internet failovers, we are investigating options :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about this… @Edu, any thoughts?

It’s on our feature list!

2 Likes

@Lanski Thanks so much for the responses. Do you have a link to your feature list you can send to me? :slight_smile:

The closest public thing is here https://github.com/dappnode/DAppNode/issues

Thank you Lanski! I’ll take a look there.