Multiple Questions: Using SSD with Eth full node; tracking crashing; etc

Hello:

I have a Dappnode basic machine and have some questions.

1. I noticed that the harddrive of the machine is at 58% capacity with the full node. I’d like to use an attached SSD on the machine to free up storage capacity, but don’t know how to have the node sync to an external volume through the UI. Can I get some support to do this?

2. I’ve been seeing memory utilization regularly hit 87% on the dappnode running the full ethnode and the pokt package. Is this normal, and will it lead to OOM errors?

3. My dappnode has crashed a few times and then rebooted automatically. Upon reboot the internal dappnode WiFi hot spot is down, even though the dappnode itself appears to be on How can I troubleshoot this issue? The hotspot shouldn’t be down after reboot and I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with the Dappnode basic, which is only a few weeks old

4. For the Pokt node I have to use an https address, which is not possible currently. I was told that I can redirect the static IP address assigned by the dappnode to an https domain. Can I get guidance about how to do this?

2 Likes

I had a great conversation with the team about helping new users to better navigate the Dappnode buying and use process.

The important questions are:

1. What dappnode should I buy?

2. What package should I install (I just learned for example that openethereum is a lower resource package than geth) to optimize hard disk space?

3. How do I troubleshoot the device? (OOM crashes, etc.)

4. What’s the expected lifetime of the device? (How long until I need to think about external storage and how do I use external storage with the device?)

These questions are all designed to help new buyers and users who are looking for a plug and play, easy experience to get moving quickly and to reduce concerns.

Hi!

1. I noticed that the harddrive of the machine is at 58% capacity with the full node. I’d like to use an attached SSD on the machine to free up storage capacity, but don’t know how to have the node sync to an external volume through the UI. Can I get some support to do this?

It’s possible but at the moment only manually, DAppNode automatically detects when you insert a USB disk. We’re finishing the wizard v2 and with this it’ll be easy to do it, but for that we’ll have to adapt the packages to support it, if you really need it we can write a guide on how to do it manually.

1. I’ve been seeing memory utilization regularly hit 87% on the dappnode running the full ethnode and the pokt package. Is this normal, and will it lead to OOM errors?

have you installed the DMS package? here you can see what the problem is

1. My dappnode has crashed a few times and then rebooted automatically. Upon reboot the internal dappnode WiFi hot spot is down, even though the dappnode itself appears to be on How can I troubleshoot this issue? The hotspot shouldn’t be down after reboot and I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with the Dappnode basic, which is only a few weeks old

Could you specify better what crashed means? Can you give us some more detail about this? Can you access to it? Can you connect to your DAppNode through the VPN? Assuming you can access to the UI, can you send us the logs that appear here?

1. For the Pokt node I have to use an https address, which is not possible currently. I was told that I can redirect the static IP address assigned by the dappnode to an https domain. Can I get guidance about how to do this?

This is something that the pokt team has to help you with, they’re maintaining their package. But as a note: It’s in our roadmap to add the automatically generation of SSL certificates for your device and we’ve even got a let’s encrypt permission to issue certificates without limit, but I don’t have an ETA for this, it’s in our list but not among the highest priority things right now

1 Like

Would you mind creating a post only for this topic? I think it has enough content to have its own thread

I inserted a SSD disk and I wasn’t aware that dappnode detects the device (there’s nothing on the interface to indicate this). I had to ssh into the device to locate the ssd. Is there somewhere I’m not looking in the UI to detect volumes?

I don’t see the volume at all.

I installed the DMS package. Right not it’s just showing that very little memory is available. I’m only running the full ETH node and the Pokt node. Pokt takes about 2 GB of memory. I’m not sure how many the Eth full node takes. Is there a more memory efficient package that can be used?

1. Crashed means that the device seems to be operating, (hard disk light is flashing) but the internal wifi is down.

I’ll need to send the logs to you so that you can see what’s going on.

We had a power outage/surge yesterday, so that may have cuased the issue, but i still don’t know why the dappnode would be on, but the wifi would not.

I’m talking to Pokt about this now.