High RAM useage

I am running dappnode OS, Geth, and Medalla. I have 32 GB of RAM in a NUC and the RAM is constantly benchmarking its usage around 14-16 GB. Is this normal and any suggestions on how to cut this down? I was expecting it to be in the 2-4 GB range day to day.

pretty sure it dynamically uses as much as it can

I have a 32Gb NUC and had the same usage from Geth. You can reduce what it uses by adding command line options for the cache types in the config section of the Geth package in DappNode.

–cache value Megabytes of memory allocated to internal caching (default = 4096 mainnet full node, 128 light mode) (default: 1024)
–cache.database value Percentage of cache memory allowance to use for database io (default: 50)
–cache.trie value Percentage of cache memory allowance to use for trie caching (default = 25% full mode, 50% archive mode) (default: 25)
–cache.gc value Percentage of cache memory allowance to use for trie pruning (default = 25% full mode, 0% archive mode) (default: 25)

3 Likes

What are the implications of doing this on the Geth node?

Well depends on how low you set it I suppose. The clients want lots of cache as it improves performance by reducing disk IO so give it plenty if you can. I dropped it down to ~8gb as I wanted to leave headroom for running other stuff. Not sure you would see much difference dropping from 16gb to 8gb cache, I didn’t.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.