Trouble connecting RaspberryPi to DappNode on local network

Hi all,

I’m a bit of a noob, so not 100% certain what I’m doing, but I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

I purchased and installed a physical DappNode but am having trouble connecting to through my RaspberryPi. I know that this may not exactly be related to DappNode itself, but I don’t know where else to ask and am hoping someone here can help.

From my MacBook everything works fine. Through Tunnelblick VPN I’m able to enable the VPN connection using the config file from the my.dappnode panel and I can access ETH websites, metamask, etc. Everything works as it should. (The python script below that I’m using to test my raspberryPi also works from my Macbook)

On my (headless) RaspberryPi on the other hand, I’m unable to access web3 things. I’ve installed openvpn and started the service (using the config file for a 2nd device), which seems to be running successfully according to the systemctl status openvpn@client command and my external IP. However, if I try to run the following basic python script I get an error that it’s unable to establish a connection, the name or service not known.

from web3 import Web3, HTTPProvider
web3 = Web3(HTTPProvider('http://fullnode.dappnode:8545'))
print(web3.eth.getBlock(12345))

Any ideas?

Some extra info…let me know if you need more details -

• I don’t have a firewall active.
  • The RaspberryPi and DAppNode are both connected by ethernet cable to my router. My Macbook is connected over wifi.
  • Since I’m able to connect with my Macbook, I assume it isn’t a Router issue or with my ISP.

Appreciate if anyone can help me troubleshoot this and point me in the right direction!

2 Likes